Thursday, November 29, 2012

Mindless Ranting!

The appropriation of symbols has long been a bone of contention with me. I am not against symbolism per se but when I was growing up if you were happy you could be gay and gaiety did not equal homosexuality. I'm not sure if the original meanings of the word even exist in a dictionary today. Which brings me to my other bone of contention - homophobia. Due to the sudden outpouring of love for all things GLBT in the media and especially in the movies it is now politically incorrect to make a joke about homosexuality. I understand that sexual orientations vary and I accept it but just because it exists doesnt mean I need to celebrate, dance and sing about it, and worse stii, if I dont go all hoopla about it doesnt automatically make me a homophobe. I mean you may have a different predisposition but that doesnt make you special or worthy of special treatment. It does not make you a symbol of progress of the human races. Which brings me back to my rant against symbols. Like colours for example - why is it when I wear green on independence day I am asked if I am celebrating with the 'neighbours', green is 1/3 rd the colour of 'our' flag too or when my friend buys a blue bike it somehow raises eyebrows of a casteist nature. These are colours, just like saffron is a colour, and they belong to all of us - u, me, him, her, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment