Friday, May 18, 2012

How long is the night?


I still remember those afternoons under the mango tree.
You’d cut your elbow and I’d scraped my knee.
When school was out and the days were free,
And the fiery 'gulmohar' stood out bright
While I didn’t know how long was the night!

Playing cricket for hours in the park.
To the orchards on secret missions we’d embark
And return home only late after dark
To play some more in the false light.
And I didn’t know how long was the night!

I remember growing up with the guys.
Every girl and our rarely successful tries!
The honesty in those white lies
To try and break up a fight.
But I didn’t know how long was the night!

I still remember the sky and its flaming hues
When you kissed away the blues.
When there was no need nor excuse
To hold each other so tight.
Yet I didn’t know how long was the night!

I still remember when the doctor said what he did.
I can still taste the tears you hid
When that final goodbye we bid.
Though I’m still up for the fight,
Now I know how long is the night!


7 comments:

  1. To borrow from Dylan Thomas, "Do not go so gentle into the good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

    This poem made me think of so many different things. The Gulmohar tree near my school was felled last week. I remember sitting in the classrooms in the west wing in the lower standards, gazing out at the blazing red in the afternoons. I never thought so much of it all these years till I saw it being felled last week and felt a distinct pang.

    And I love Vincent's painting evoking what must have been a truly beautiful sky at night.

    Really, thank you for this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a wonderful quote. and somehow i have found that ppl who have seen the gulmohar in its flaring beauty once can never help being mesmerised everyime it is mentioned...
    thanks for your words of praise, ur probably the one who really follows my posts i feel sometimes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i do not understand art much, but i do understand words...and starry night is always the soul searching sound of Don Mclean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good writing, a lot of nostalgia and some vivid imagery in there.

    The ending was kind of mysterious and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Aayushi and welcome to my blog. It started as a happy poem about growing up and forgotten summers but somehow ended being what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mystery mystery mystery...
    So what was it that the doctor told you, the address of the neighbourhood watch shop?

    ReplyDelete
  7. nope globetrotter, he just told me how long the night is....literally and metaphorically speaking!! ;)

    ReplyDelete