Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Deja vu

My mom is a great cook and I know many a satiated stomach that would vouch for it. I remember a time as a kid, when she made vada-pav or pav bhaji or pani puri or samosas at home. My dad would rave about them, compare them with the ones you got in hotels and how these tasted better, were healthier and eventually cheaper too, although he never failed to acknowledge the effort my mother put into making them. I, on the other hand, loved them but somehow always felt that there was something extra to the food we got outside (my father always said the 'extra' was the grime and sweat from the vendor's fingers).
A lot of river has become the sea since and I have spent a lot of that time eating in various places all around the globe. And when the other day my wife and me decided to bake some pizzas at home and then finish off the weekend with some homemade salami and sausage cheeseburgers, I was astounded by my words that accompanied those burgers. My wife smiled as I told her how we should henceforth only eat pizzas and burgers made at home, as they were so much tastier, so much healthier and so so much cheaper. It did take a little bit of effort but it was worth it. My 9 month old kept staring at me as I spoke. I don't figure he was having the same thoughts I used to have all those years ago, but I wonder how long before he will!

2 comments:

  1. We're all destined to turn into our parents one day, I think! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. while spending all our lives trying not to turn into them!

    ReplyDelete